Dota2 is one of the most popular esport in the world, and for a good reason. It is part of many worldwide renowned tournaments for professional Dota players, bringing in a lot of money. Although you might not participate in these, you can still turn a profit by wagering on this multiplayer game.
This article will bring the whole idea of betting on Dota2 a bit closer by pinpointing what you need to focus on. We’ll also break down the most crucial tips and tricks for betting on this game in 2021.
Betting on MOBA games is slightly different from placing a wager on the Texas Hold’em setup you’ve got at home. Yes, you’ll still be placing bets from the comfort of your own armchair, but the whole thing is much more complex. You may not need to master every detail of Dota2, but you’ll need a solid understanding of the game before making your move.
In case you don’t already know, Dota2 consists of two five-people teams, where each player controls one of the game’s 119 characters. The game’s objective is to destroy the other team’s Ancient. There are two of these structures, each of which is controlled by one of the teams. Both are on the opposite ends of the map. Players also need to confront the creeps — neutral, computer-controlled characters. The game ends once one of the Ancients is destroyed, but many esports competitions utilize the two-out-of-three method.
Understanding the Odds
Most sportsbooks offer decimal or US format odds. This depends on where you live and which sites you’re using to place your wagers. We’ll go through the US betting style to make the whole thing easier for you.
For US bettors, a + or – are listed in front of the odds. For example, a match between team A and team B could be listed as team A +110, team B -150. The team with the negative odds is the favorite to win. Since the odds assigned to each are relatively close in value, we can anticipate a close game.
If you back team B for the win, you might risk losing $150 to win $110. On the other hand, the positive sign tells us you’re willing to risk $100 to gain $110.
How to Bet on Dota2
Like many other MOBA-style games, Dota2 is a complex and sophisticated competition with a range of different elements you can wager on. As live betting has become more popular, more sites allow you to place both pre-game and in-play bets. This is great since Dota2 can be pretty unpredictable.
Take a look at some useful bets for Dota2:
- Moneyline bets — This is the simplest bet, as all you need to do is choose the team you want to win and wait for the overall result.
- Handicap or spread bets — Thanks to this bet, you’ll be able to level the playing field by assigning points to each side before the match. Therefore, you can give points to the underdog and take them away from the favorite and vice versa. This bet is only available for the “best-of” matches.
- Total or over/under bets — Again, this is a bet best utilized for the “best-of” series of matches. Namely, you need to wager on the total number of maps/games played. This number can be over or under a predetermined set total. You can also place the same bet on the total duration of the match, as the pros can play Dota2 for hours on end.
- Prop bets — These bets are an excellent choice for live betting, as they’re not directly connected to the final result. They focus on individual performances or specific strategic elements of the game.
Biggest Dota2 Events to Bet On
Although Dota2 is played all over the world, some tournaments are better than others, especially when it comes to betting. So, keep an eye out for Dota Pro Circuit and The International, as they are two Dota2 tournaments held in the highest regard. Many others are also available.
Top Tips for Betting on Dota2
Now that you know everything about betting on Dota2, we’ve prepared some tips that might help you out further.
- Pay attention during the pick and ban phase — Don’t ignore the process where players draft characters for their teams. They get the chance to pick but also ban characters from entering the arena. Keep a close eye on this phase of the tournament, as it will give you insight into the upcoming battle.
- Look around for best odds and promotions — Compare odds and promotions on multiple sportsbooks. It will help you make a more informed decision before investing any money.
Play Dota2 yourself — Nothing will prepare you for this betting experience better than playing the game yourself. The hands-on experience will do you good, and you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the game.